2 x tablespoons light olive oil
1.5kg pieces wagyu brisket
100grm small diced onion
100grm small diced celery
100grm small diced carrot
100grm small diced leeks
2 x bay leaf
1 x sprig thyme
3 x cloves garlic, thinly sliced
250ml red wine
1.5 ltr veal stock/beef stock
Set oven at 180 deg C
- Using a large deep roasting tray or a large heavy based saucepan, brown and season the brisket, remove and set aside.
- Add the diced vegetables, aromatics and garlic to the tray – lightly brown and season, deglaze with red wine, then add the stock. Add brisket and bring up to a simmer, make sure brisket is submerged, cover with baking paper, then add lid or foil. Cook for 1.5 hrs, then turn the beef, cook for a further 1.5hrs or until tender. Cool in the stock for an hour.
- Remove carefully and wrap the brisket tightly, in cling wrap and set in the fridge until cold and firm.
Strain the stock, discard veg etc.
- Reduce and skim stock until sauce consistency.
- To serve, unwrap brisket, slice across the grain, 3cm thick.
- Use a shallow baking tray, add sauce, add sliced brisket, cover with baking paper, lid again or foil and warm through at 160-180 deg C.
- Serve with appropriate garnish & a bottle of Balnaves Cabernet